Monday 9 March 2009

New Stadium...again

It's coming. I have little doubt about that.

Forest have been conditioning supporters to embrace the change for some time.

The new stadium was pitched as a dangling carrot during desperate times and a new Main Stand has only ever been spoken of as a severe hindrance.

Calls for the rusting and faded crevices of the City Ground to feel the stroke of a paint brush have been rejected numerous times - fans are less likely to defend the virtue of a sagging rust bucket.

Of course, like most fans, I don't trust the incumbent regime to handle the move in a way that manages the club's dignity.

I expect a name sponsor, I expect a boring design, and I expect an out-of-town lump surrounded by £9 car parks and commercial plazas.

A new stadium that puts excitement and atmosphere before leg room and profits would suit me. But the reality could well be a half-empty box; all concrete and Starbucks, with supporters lounging peaceably in spacious seats. Those of us with years of service at the City Ground will be left rambling about the good old days.

I'm barely getting started and already I'm wisened enough to lament places like the Ricoh Arena in contrast to their predecessors.

The new stadiums are striking off the last remnants of football's golden age and the next generation will know no better. The trouble is, if we don't buy a ticket we will very quickly be left a long way behind.